The History of Lodi, NY
Lodi was a home to the Seneca Indians for a long time. The Latin scholars who surveyed Lodi after the Revolutionary war, named it after Lodi in Italy which was a fortress with high banks. In 1779 General John Sullivan was commissioned to drive the Native Americans out from the area between Cayuga and Seneca Lake. This paved the way In the early 1800’s for the settlers who began to occupy lots which were given as payment to soldiers of the Revolutionary War. At this time a ferry was operated from Lodi Point to land on the other side of Seneca Lake. In the mid to late 1800’s Lodi Point had become a regular stop for steamboats traversing Seneca Lake. The Lehigh Valley Railroad also had a stop in Lodi. Both the Railroad and the steamboats are gone now. What remains is peace and quiet. Lodi, long known for being fertile land has supported several wineries, farms and orchards which are all happy to share the fruits of their labor with visitors to Lodi.
Further news and information on Lodi NY, can be found on the local website.
Lodi, NY • Visiting Lodi • History of Lodi
Lodi, NY 14860